The Gingerbread Project, Year 3
It's time again to dust off your apron (if you're a local business), or hone your judging skills (if you're a member of the Pemberton community). Until December 9, local businesses create original gingerbread masterpieces, and then from December 10 to 20, the local community votes for the one they like the best.
Why? For the Pemberton Food Bank, of Course!
The best part of this holiday tradition is that all the proceeds benefit the Pemberton Food Bank. Entries to the competition cost $5 each, first of all. Then, as the community comes by from December 10 to December 20 to admire the creative masterpieces, they are asked to bring a non-perishable food item for the food bank. Next, everyone is encouraged to take part in the silent auction of the creations, which again raises yet more money for the food bank. At each step of the way, too, everyone has a great time.
How the Money is Raised:
Just to reiterate, the Pemberton Food Bank is helped in several ways during this event:
- The $5 entry fees paid by local businesses to enter the contest with their gingerbread masterpiece
- The donations of food as people visit and judge creations from December 10 - December 20
- The silent auction of the gingerbread creations
But That's Not All! (Great Prizes for the Pemberton Business Who Wins!)
As an incentive for local businesses to really give it their all during this friendly competition, a prize is being offered. And not just any prize, but one night accommodation and two tickets to see the Canucks play in Vancouver! Wow. We're certain that simply making your gingerbread magnum opus is enough for most, but adding on the prize just might push entries to that next level of creativity. It's what makes this event such fun for everyone involved.
How To Make a Gingerbread House:
To help you out if you are considering joining this competition, we've put together some resources to get you started:
- Simply Recipes: How to Make a Gingerbread House. Step-by-Step instructions.
- A detailed history of Gingerbread Houses.
- The ten most over-the-top Gingerbread Houses, ever. This might inspire you to greatness -- or beyond!
- And, last: A brief history of modern Gingerbread Houses. For those of you who want to push the design envelope just a bit.
Important Gingerbread Dates To Remember:
- December 9: Get your creations to the Pemberton Valley Lodge
- December 10 - 20: Come and view (& vote on) the gingerbread masterpieces
- December 11: Open House business mixer
- December 14: Family Day with our own special guest, Santa!
For more information, please check out our events section.
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2013