Pemberton's Slow Food Cycle Returns: August 21st, 2016
It's slow food season y'all! The sun is out and the Pemberton Farmers Market is busier than ever this August. Which can only mean one thing.. it's almost time for Slow Food Cycle Sunday!
Sunday, August 21st
On Sunday August 21st, the 50km bike ride up and down the Pemberton Meadows Road is back! It may sound gruelling but this bike ride is a self-paced adventure to some of the Sea-to-Sky Corridor's best farms. Riders will have a chance to visit vendors at these farms and purchase local produce, art, crafts, juices, snacks, jewelry and much more at vendors along the way.
Founded in 2005 by two Pemberton residents, Anna Helmer and Lisa Richardson. The Slow Food Cycle is a chance for local farmers and consumers to connect and demonstrates the importance of local farmland.
This time with a full weekend of events leading up to the bike ride. With activities such as the farmers market, yoga, live entertainment, and even a barn dance! This is a weekend you won't want to miss out on. Make sure to check out the full schedule for all the event details.
Where: Pemberton Meadows Road at the location of the old Pemberton Community Centre. Look for School District 48's Bus Garage and Playing Fields just north west of the Village of Pemberton.
When: 9 AM to 2 PM
Cost: $5 per person or $20 per family
Additional important Slow Food Cycle details can be found on Tourism Pemberton's Website.
Tips & What To Bring
- Make sure to hit up the ATM before you go because this is a cash only event.
- Grab a backpack or grocery bag (or even better attach a basket to your bike) to carry your goodies home with you.
- Pre-Register for the event online to save time waiting in line on Sunday.
- Check the weather! Bring sunglasses and prepare for the scorching heat!
- Bring sunscreen and lots of water! It's a long ride.
- Bring some snacks for the trip, there will be vendors along the way but you'll probably want something to nibble on for those long stretches of road.
- Vendors tend to run out of popular items fast so you'll want to get an early start.
- Watch out for cars! Residents of Pemberton Meadows will still being using the road on the day of the event.
- Stick to the side and don't ride 4 or 5 wide. That rhymes so it must be true.
Not enough tips for you? Go to the Tourism Pemberton's Website for more advice on how to enjoy the Slow Food Cycle experience.
Don't Have a Bike?
Don't worry about it! Just contact Pemberton Bike Co. or The Paddle Barn to rent one for the event. You should to do it quick though to ensure yourself a bike for the ride.
Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2016